Thursday, October 11, 2007

Patchwork Bookmark Tutorial






Okay, here it is. My patchwork bookmark tutorial. I hope the directions are clear, although this is a pretty simple process. They're quick and easy to make. I plan on giving them with any books I give for Christmas presents. If you have any questions feel free to email me at katiebhandbags@gmail.com


Materials Needed:
  • Various fabric scraps, varying between 1-2", must be at least 2" wide

  • Small scrap of backing fabric, at least 2" x 7"
  • Fusible Interfacing
  • rotary cutter and mat OR scissors

Note: Since I am making a lot of these, I am showing the method I use to produce several at one time.


Step 1:



Arrange scraps in pleasing order and sew together. You can either sew them with straight edges, or cut the scraps at small angles. When finished, you'll should have a piece that is at least 7" long, but not longer than 9", and at least 2" wide.

Step 2:


Iron all seams in the same direction. Turn fabric over and press well from the front. Iron on fusible interfacing. If you wish to have a floppier bookmark, you can skip this step.

Step 3:


Cut one edge of the piece and use that side as a guideline for you next cuts. Cut into 2" wide strips. Depending on how wide your piece is, you will end up with several different bookmarks.

Step 4:

Cut backing fabric to the same size as the front of the bookmark. I used muslin since it's cheap and I had to make a lot of these. You can use any fabric that you have available. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew around all four sides, leaving a hole for turning.


Step 5:


Trim corners, turn out bookmark, and press.


Step 6:


Topstitch around entire bookmark, making sure that you have closed the opening.

et Voila! A plethora of bookmarks



13 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

What a fun project! Thanks for sharing : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tute! Those look fun!

Anina said...

What a fun and easy project! And I just happen to have some fusible stuff lying around.

iSew said...

What a great idea for Christmas! Thanks for sharing this, my grandma, mom & aunt read like mad!

Heidijayhawk said...

i think my little gal might even be able to manage those! thanks for the tutorial!

Jess said...

Katie, I love these! I am totally ripping off this idea at Christmas-time!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Katherine said...

Great tutorial and what an awesome way to use pretty bits of fabric. These bookmarks are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

OMG, everyone I know will be getting patchwork bookmarks for Christmas this year! I'm so excited now! What a great stash-busting project!!! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Amanda Jean said...

thanks for the tutorial. cute idea to pair them with books for gifts.

Nicky C. K. said...

i just started sewing recently and this looks like a great, take-my-sewing-to-the-next-level project!

thx 4 sharing!

Unknown said...

This was so much fun, not to mention quick and easy!! Thanks!

Cecilia said...

Exactly what I was looking for, to clean up my scraps stash :)
Cecilia